Tuesday 1 March 2011

Book Reviews.

I have a new review up on the UBG for My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher.

I haven't posted for a few weeks as I have been  busy reading and researching. I have been trying to get a better idea of the medical science behind exercise, to help me approach the fit for 30 challenge in a better fashion. I will post more on the BBE blog.

On the arts and writing side there is some news. It looks like my book reviews are going to change venue. Without wanting to go into details, the UBG stuff may be coming to an end. This poses an interesting question. I can shift my reviewing to Waterstones, and indeed I am signed up for proofs through the company. I have two sitting on my shelf waiting to be read and reviewed. However, to my mind, hosting them all through work seems to lack a certain artistic credibility.
I endeavour to keep a healthy distance between my work at the big W, and my writing. Although the two are somewhat entwined, I try not to bring my artistic endeavours through the front door.

This leaves me wondering if I should find another review site to host my scribbles. I could always stop writing anything but the work related reviews, but that seems a waste. The third option is that I could push this blog into a review blog. I admit that this option is tempting, but troublesome in its own ways. I would have carte blanche to review anything, but would have to foster strong relationships with the publishers, which is a lot of work. It's not impossible, but would take up all of my free time outside of work; leaving no time for writing.

I don't think it's wise to lose the writing time, even if I'm not yet committed to a new project yet. Ultimately that is where my career, life, etc lie. It makes the most sense to ask around and find a new reviewing venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment