Sunday 13 February 2011

Reading

I have been reading from the Oxford Journals today. It's dense, complicated theory that is rooted in many different academic fields. I possess nowhere near enough cultural critical or philosophy theory experience to fully appreciate the multidisciplinary nature of the work. I'm working on broadening my theory base, although it will be years before I can think on the same level as Dr Greg Garrard. It has suggested several new titles which I have added to the reading list. Ecocritical theory specific works that should be read.

I can't make my mind up whether it is comforting or infuriating to know that It will take me so many years of hard study to be near as good as these theorists. I'm a smart guy, with a 1st class research masters, but the sheer scope of some of the multidisciplinary research is near stupefying. I'm wading through the high end academia while reading from the bottom up too, with the hope that in a few years I will hit a happy medium where I can treat at something approximating the same rigour.

It leaves me arguing with myself on how far do I want to follow this route. Am I aiming to be a creative writing lecturer, or do I have my sights set on being a critical theorist? A blend of both is probably the healthiest choice. An area of expertise alongside the act of writing. Perhaps having been away from university for a handful of years is the reason for this feeling of stupidity. Like I'm wading through intellectual molasses. I shall persevere and push through. One laden step after another.

On a different note, I had some success with a new character, writing several brief sketches of exploration. I shall make sure to keep up with the practice alongside revisiting all elements of the writer's tool kit. It felt good to work on something new. A comfort to know I'm still capable, adept even, at drawing deeper connotation in simple prose.

It would seem I am right on track.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt
    There is a blogger award over on my blog for you :)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete