Friday 11 February 2011

Back to basics: Character Construction.

I have spent a lot of time working on illustrations, and testing formats for rewriting my research dissertation and intend to keep chipping away at the project, however I feel that I'm ignoring working on new pieces of writing. It will be great to get the dissertation rewritten, but if it's at the cost of any new works then it's not beneficial at all.

To rectify this I have spent the last week looking at my old works, and deciding on the element I miss most in my writing. I have come to the conclusion that I need to work on characterisation.

My previous work has always stemmed from and revolved around a particular or singular theory. Most commonly psychological literary theory. The characters I have created have always been designed to service and further the exploration of these ideas. In and of itself this isn't necessarily a bad focus, however if it leaves me incapable of creating dynamic realistic characters outside of a narrative focus, then it leaves me lacking.

I have dug up the old character construction check lists that I used to use, and will be spending a few weeks exploring the ways of creating characters, and the important aspects to be included. I'm hoping this will organically lead to some small character driven pieces of fiction or poetry.

While I'm working on the various forms of research I have tabled to complete, I see no reason why not, in fact it seems healthier to, re-familiarise myself with the core base of any narrative; that is the people within.

Time to put my head back into my university readers, and the Creative Writing Coursebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment